Sunday, July 15, 2007

I’ve a soft spot for ghazals’Balwinder Singh, City Police Commissioner

Hyderabad :

I enjoy music, particularly A. R. Rahman’s songs. Woh kagaz ki kashti, woh barish ka pani, a ghazal rendered by ghazal king Jagjit Singh is one of my all-time favourites. I become nostalgic when I listen to this ghazal, as it brings back memories of my childhood. One track that can instantly pep me up is ‘Yeh desh hai veer jawano ka...’ from Dilip Kumar’s film Naya Daur. Chupke chupke, raat din an enchanting ghazal of Badshah-E-Ghazal Ghulam Ali is among my non-film favourites.I also enjoy the latest hits. The music score in Rang de Basanti stands out among the current younger generation films and I love its music. Other songs that I really like are Yeh jo mohabbat hain, Zindagi ke Safar mein and Dil aaj shayer hain — all by Kishore Kumar, and Tum ko dekha to yeh qhayal aaya by Jagjit Singh, Hum tere shehar mein by Ghulam Ali and Chhuu lene do naazuk by Mohd Rafi.
(As told to S. A. Ishaqui ) Date 14-07-2007

No comments: